If you haven't noticed yet, it's Summer! Here are each of the hosts five favorite songs to celebrate the season.
05. Bennie K – Endless Summer with Blaise Plant: I had nearly forgotten this song when compiling my list, but it was one of my favorites when it had originally come out. I definitely have an important connection with this song. It’s basically an anthem dedicated to the end of summer, focusing everything that comes to an end along with it.
04. SweetS - Earthship ~Uchuusen Chikyuu Gou~: This was the very first song I ever romanized, nearly four years ago. With my very simple understanding of gana and a select few kanji, it took me hours and hours to complete. Although I heard the song hundreds of times over this period I never stopped loving it. It’s simply one of the most nostalgic summer songs I know.
03. Otsuka Ai – Kingyo Hanabi: One of my favorite things about Otsuka Ai’s music is her ability to craft unique lyrics that, while quirky, are just beautiful. This song is a gorgeous ballad about a love that Ai compares to the short life of a goldfish, which will only last the summer. Add in a simple, but equally compelling composition and you’ve got yourself a wonderful summer love song.
02. Do As Infinity – SUMMER DAYS: This is such an awesome song because it breaks the mold in so many different ways. The song itself has a very upbeat sound, but the lyrics are actually a bitchy commentary on “summer songs.” The best part is in the final chorus, when the truth is revealed, and we realize that the reason she hates the season is because she was dumped, ruining summer for her. One of the most unconventional love songs I’d ever heard.
01. Orange Range – LOCOLOTION: For me, this is the quintessential summer song. It oozes a carefree summer feel with an effective, if not cheesy use of female vocals to complement the boys of Orange Range. After seeing the video, I find it very difficult to think of anything other than a sexy, cheesy and fun summer track.
I hate the beach, I hate sunshine, and "happy" songs very rarely do it for me (although there are exceptions). So here's where you expect me to say "I hate summer," right? Well, not really. I remember certain summers very fondly. It's just that I'm a very nostalgic person, and a night person, so the sad, pretty, "nighttime" summer moments are what defines summer for me.
So this list is songs that have that "nostalgic" sound, the songs that recall feelings of missing someone. Cuz I don't really enjoy summer for the summery stuff. I enjoy remembering hanging out with my friends during summer evenings back in the day. :)
5. AAA - HURRICANE LILI, BOSTON MARI
One of those summer songs released during the spring for some reason. Also the reason I'm a AAA fan. Very good song. Oddly pretty melody for something so uptempo. And its lyrics make very little sense. Call me weird, but talking about dead German officers and UFO's makes a song just that much better.
(Song itself actually starts at about 2:45)
4. Fukuyama Masaharu - niji
This one, honestly, I don't really associate with summer very much personally, which is why it's so low. It is just such a FANTASTIC song that was marketed as a summer song, so I added it because it counts. One of maybe a handful of songs in the whole world that I actually find to be uplifting. I wish I liked more Fukuyama Masaharu songs, though - never did get into too much of the rest of his discography. But this one just makes me smile every time I hear it.
3. Do As Infinity - SUMMER DAYS
Such a great rebellion against the "yay, life is wonderful cuz it's summer!" songs that I hate so much. Van goes on & on about how much she HATES summer, how life is NOT magically awesome just cuz summer's here, and at the end we get the twist in the story that she hates summer because she got dumped during summer. Love it. Love it love it love it.
2. B'z - ultra soul
This was the first song I listened to during the summer, liked during the summer, and will now always associate with summer. Honestly my number three COULD have been pretty much anything on the "Green" album, but this song reminds me of a particularly badass summer in my life, so. REALLY love this track.
1. Hamasaki Ayumi - HANABI
This song makes me well up. I love the ticking-clock & music-box aspects of the arrangement mixed with the ocean-crashing-into-you strings in the chorus. Ayu sounds like she's crying when singing it, and the verses are quiet with ayu's echo in the background. So even if you don't know the lyrics, you know it's not a happy song, you know she's lonely (no it's not and yes she is).It's just so well-done and so well-produced. Why doesn't Ayu do songs like this anymore?